GSA is working closely with the RACS as well as all Departments of Health, peak medical bodies, hospitals, and practitioners to monitor the COVID-19 situation, make appropriate recommendations, and provide support for our Members, Trainees, International Medical Graduates, and staff.
Our priority is your health and safety, and maintaining a medical workforce that can service our patients and wider community.
COVID-19 Guidelines for General Surgery
Please click here to download COVID-19 Guidelines for General Surgery developed by General Surgeons Australia, the RACS Australian Board in General Surgery, the New Zealand Association of General Surgeons, and the RACS New Zealand Board in General Surgery.
General Surgery Decision Tree - Updated
Please click here to download a Decision Tree for considering General Surgery during COVID-19, developed by General Surgeons Australia, following the Restoration of Elective Surgery guidelines announced on 23 April 2020.
COVID-19 Guidelines for Breast Surgery
Please click here to download COVID-19 Guidelines for Breast Surgery developed by BreastSurgANZ.
For Guidance to Breast Surgeons for Triage of Surgical Procedures, please click here.
COVID-19 Guidelines for Colorectal Surgery
Please click here to download COVID-19 Guidelines for Colorectal Surgery developed by CSSANZ.
COVID-19 Guidelines for Endocrine Surgery
Please click here to download the updated Position Statement: Defining Urgent Endocrine Surgical Conditions - Endocrine Surgery during the COVID-19 Pandemic, from the ANZES and General Surgeons Australia.
COVID-19 Guidelines for Endoscopy Training
Please click here to download the Position Statement on Guidance for Endoscopy Training in New Zealand and Australia in the peri-COVID-19 era.
COVID-19 Guidelines for HPB Surgery
Please click here to download updated COVID-19 Guidelines for Management of HPB Surgery developed by ANZHPBA.
COVID-19 Guidelines for Upper GI & Bariatric Surgery
Please click here to download updated COVID-19 Guidelines for Triaging Upper GI & Bariatric Surgery developed by ANZGOSA & ANZMOSS.
Further Information & Position Statements:
- Restoration of Elective Surgery
- Elective Surgery Restrictions Eased
- AMA advocacy to support doctors in training during the COVID-19 response
- Medical colleges support resumption of elective surgery for low-risk patients
- RACS guidelines for the management of surgical patients during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Considerations for Australian Endoscopy Units During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- SAGES and EAES Recommendations: Surgical Response to COVID-19
- ASOHNS guidelines and resources for COVID-19
- Neurosurgical Society of Australasia Position Statement COVID-19
- COVID-19 and pregnant health care workers
- Medical Colleges call for urgent freeze to all non-critical elective surgery
- Suspension of 2020 Selection Process for 2021 Intake
Please refer to the RACS Coronavirus Information Hub for daily updates.